Survey on the Unmet Needs of Patients Living with Metastatic Colorectal Cancer (mCRC)
A DiCE Medical Practice Advisory Project
About the mCRC Survey and its Results
In order to understand challenges and needs of those living with mCRC and their health-related quality of life (HRQoL), in 2016, DiCE (at that time EuropaColon), together with HCPs and Member groups, commissioned a survey across Europe.
The original questionnaire, which was developed together with the Expert Patient Advisory Group, was translated into 10 languages. Over the period of 18 months, 883 patients completed the survey.
Digestive Cancers Europe has published the following on the survey results:
Key Findings and their Impact
The survey results show several areas for improvement within the patient journey – from pre-diagnosis to screening practices, in the diagnostic and post-diagnosis and treatment phases. This includes agreement that psychological support is largely inadequate. It also demonstrates the similarities and differences of the patient experience across the continent.
Digestive Cancers Europe is using these results to ensure the key conclusions have an impact and invoke change in the needed improvement areas including:
- Increased awareness on CRC, particularly symptoms
- Establishing best screening practices across Europe
- Better information provision on disease origin, stages and progression
- Simpler, easier-to-understand information on treatment and side-effects
- Making patients’ psychological/emotional wellbeing a healthcare priority
- Guiding patients in the decision-making process and facilitating healthcare professional (HCP)-patient communication
mCRC Survey Results – Abstracts and Posters
DiCE ran this survey from 2016 (then EuropaColon) and has reported results through 2019 and 2020.
This has included the following abstracts and posters:
- Treatment of Metastatic Colorectal Cancer in the Real World (mCRC): Final Results from a European Survey
- Quality of life (QoL) in metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) in the real world: Final results of a European survey
- Discovery and diagnosis of metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) in the real world: Final results from a European survey
- Survey on the Unmet Needs of Patients Living with mCRC – Learnings from an International Study
- Understanding of metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) in the real world: Initial results from a European survey on the unmet needs of patients living with metastatic colorectal cancer
- Recruitment for a survey on the unmet needs of patients living with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC): Lessons from a European study
- Interim quality of life results from a real world European survey on the unmet needs of patients living with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC)
- Interim results from a real world European survey on the unmet needs of patients living with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC)
See these posters presented at key oncological conferences
A word of thanks
This work has been made possible thanks to the insight and continuous support of EuropaColon’s Expert Patient Advisory Group (EPAG), all anonymous patients who took part in the survey, the healthcare teams and patient advocacy organisations across Europe that helped us recruit patients and our sponsors.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb