UPDATE on DESTINY-Gastric02 Study: Trastuzumab Deruxtecan Continues to Demonstrate Benefit in Metastatic Gastric and Gastro-oesophageal Cancer

September 20, 2022

The DESTINY-Gastric02 study was conducted in a Western patient population (US/EU), primarily to confirm the positive results from the DESTINY-Gastric01 study, which comprised of an exclusively Asian population.1 DESTINY-Gastric02 (NCT04014075) began with the aim of finding out if trastuzumab deruxtecan is safe and works for a Western patient population with gastric or gastroesophageal junction cancer, in patients who have human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-positive gastric or gastro-esophageal junction (GEJ) cancer: that cannot be surgically removed, that has moved to other parts of the body or that got worse during or after treatment that included trastuzumab.

At the ESMO 2022 conference, a longer follow-up of the data from phase 2 of the study showed that trastuzumab deruxtecan (Enhertu®) continued to show a clinical benefit, with a tolerable safety profile for patients with HER2+ locally advanced or metastatic gastric or GEJ adenocarcinoma who previously received treatment with trastuzumab (Herceptin).1

As previously reported, in the primary analysis publication the baseline characteristics of this nonrandomized phase 2 study consisted of a population of 79 patients, with a median age of 60.7 years, with the median time since diagnosis being 14.2 months. 86.1% of patients had HER2 expression of disease with IHC 3+, 12.7% had IHC 2+/ISH+ and 1.3% were non-evaluable. The study population consisted of 34.2% of patients with gastric cancer and 65.8% with GEJ, and most patients had two or more metastatic site (93.7%).2

The data update shared from the date of cut-off (November 8, 2021) revealed that of the 79 patients in the study, 76 (96.2%) had received one prior line of therapy, while the remaining three (3.8%) had received two lines of therapy. The median follow-up duration of 10.2 months had 10 patients (12.7%) still on treatment. The median treatment duration was 4.3 months (07-22.1). It is important to note that all patients experienced treatment-emergent adverse events (TEAE) grade ≥1, 55.7% reported grade ≥3, with the most common TEAEs being nausea (67.1%), vomiting (44.3%) and fatigue (57.0%).

The new survival data showed overall survival (OS) of 12.1 months ((95% CI, 9.4-15.4), with a median progression-free survival (PFS) of 5.6 months (95% CI, 4.2-8.3) in patients who received trastuzumab deruxtecan.

Of particular interest to patients, and the patient advocacy community, patient-reported outcomes were also presented, highlighting that patient-reported quality of life did not worsen through cycle seven (duration of treatment 4.8 months). The study utilized the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer 5-dimensional (EQ-5D) survey and the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Gastric (FACT-Ga) measure.

  1. Shitara K, Bang YJ, Iwasa S, et al; DESTINY-Gastric01 Investigators. Trastuzumab deruxtecan in previously treated HER2-positive gastric cancer. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(25):2419-2430.
  1. LBA55 Primary analysis of a phase II single-arm trial of trastuzumab deruxtecan (T-DXd) in western patients (Pts) with HER2-positive (HER2+) unresectable or metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) cancer who progressed on or after a trastuzumab-containing regimen, van Cutsem, E. et al. Annals of Oncology, Volume 32, S1332.
Ruel Jacob

In order to facilitate the use of our website, we use cookies.

Please confirm if you accept our tracking cookies. When declining the cookies, you can continue visiting the website without sending data to third party services. Read our complete cookie statement here.